Owner Dr Roger Head will welcome us to a tour of Highnam Court Estate gardens. Guests will visit various areas within the grounds: the Knot Garden and East Garden, a formal flower garden with herbaceous planting in intricate beds laid out originally in 1869.
The Highnam Estate was bought in 1838 by Thomas Gambier Parry, who was an accomplished artist, musician and art collector. He started to lay out his garden in 1840, and by 1874 it rivalled any in the UK. Sadly since the early twentieth century almost nothing had been done in the gardens and they became totally overgrown. Restoration started in 1994, and over the last 13 years, current owner Roger Head has beautifully returned the gardens to their former glory.
The parterre in front of the Orangery was planted in 2001 with box hedging, with an intricate knot design at the centre. One of the most important features of the garden is the Pulhamite rock garden, which was the first largest work of the inventor Pulham.
The site of the old withy bed pool and original medieval fishponds is now the new Monet Garden. The lake is now larger, with a recently-discovered old boathouse at the northern end, and you can enjoy an enchanting view of the willows and new herbaceous flowerbeds across the new bridge, designed in the style of Monet’s garden in Giverney in France. Lunch will be served in the Orangery. Photo © Bob Train
Highnam Gloucester GL2 8DP